In 1973, I was teaching elementary school. Each day, 27 kids 41 “The Thinking Laboratory.” That was the 42 students voted for after deciding that “Room 104” was too 43 .
Freddy was an average 44 , but not an average person. He had the rare balance of fun and compassion(同情). He would 45 the loudest over fun and be the saddest over anyone’s 46 .
Before the school year 47 , I gave the kids a special 48 , T-shirts with the words “Verbs Are Your 49 ” on them. I had advised the kids that while verbs(动词) may seem dull, most of the 50 things they do throughout their lives will be verbs.
Through the years, I’d run into former students who would provide 51 on old classmates. I learned that Freddy did several jobs after his 52 from high school and remained the same 53 person I met forty years before. Once, while working overnight at a store, he let a homeless man 54 in his truck. Another time, he 55 afriend money to buy a house.
Just last year, I was 56 a workshop when someone knocked at the classroom door. A woman 57 the interruption and handed me an envelope. I stopped teaching and 58 it up. Inside were the “Verbs” shirt and a 59 from Freddy’s mother. “Freddy passed away on Thanksgiving. He wanted you to have this.”
I told the story to the class. As sad as it was, I couldn’t help smiling. Although Freddy was taken from us, we all 60 something from Freddy.
41. A. built B. entered C. decorated D. ran
42. A. name B. rule C. brand D. plan
43. A. small B. dark C. strange D. dull
44. A. scholar B. student C. citizen D. worker
45. A. speak B. sing C. question D. laugh
46. A. misfortune B. disbelief C. dishonesty D. mistake
47. A. changed B. approached C. returned D. ended
48. A. lesson B. gift C. report D. message
49. A. Friends B. Awards C. Masters D. Tasks
50. A. simple B. unique C. fun D. clever
51. A. assessments B. comments C. instructions D. updates
52. A. graduation B. retirement C. separation D. resignation
53. A. daring B. modest C. caring D. smart
54. A. wait B. sleep C. study D. live
55. A. paid B. charged C. lent D. owed
56. A. observing B. preparing C. designing D. conducting
57. A. regretted B. avoided C. excused D. ignored
58. A. opened B. packed C. gave D. held
59. A. picture B. bill C. note D. diary
60. A. chose B. took C. expected D. borrowed
elementary [elɪ'ment(ə)rɪ] adj. 基本的；初级的；[化学] 元素的
vote[vəʊt] n. 投票；选举；选票v.提议；投票决定
average ['æv(ə)rɪdʒ] n.平均；平均数adj. 普通的；通常的
rare[reə] adj. 稀有的；稀薄的；半熟的adv.非常；极其
compassion [kəm'pæʃ(ə)n] n. 同情；怜悯
seem [si:m] v. 似乎；好像；仿佛
throughout [θru:'aʊt] adv.自始至终；到处；全部prep. 贯穿；遍及
provide [prə'vaɪd] v. 提供；装备；规定
several ['sevrəl] adj. 几个的；各自的pron. 几个；数个
remain[rɪ'meɪn]v. 保持；依然；剩余；残存n. 遗迹；剩余物，残骸
overnight[əʊvə'naɪt]adv. 通宵 adj. 晚上的；前夜的
workshop ['wɜ:kʃɒp]n. 车间；研讨会；工场；讲习班
interruption [ɪntə'rʌpʃn] n. 中断；干扰；中断之事
decorate['dekəreɪt] v. 装饰；布置；授勋给
rule[ru:l] v. 统治；管辖；裁定；支配n. 统治；规则
brand [brænd] v. 铭刻于，铭记；印……商标于n. 商标，牌子；烙印
scholar ['skɒlə]n. 学者；奖学金获得者
citizen ['sɪtɪz(ə)n]n. 公民；市民
misfortune [mɪs'fɔ:tʃu:n; -tʃ(ə)n] n. 不幸；灾祸，灾难
approach[ə'prəʊtʃ]n. 方法；途径；接近v. 接近；着手处理；靠近
gift[gɪft] n. 礼物；天赋；赠品v. 赋予；向……赠送
award[ə'wɔ:d]v. 授予；判定n. 奖品；判决
unique[juː'ni:k] adj. 独特的，稀罕的；[数]唯一的
assessment [ə'sesmənt] n. 评定；估价
comment['kɒment] n. 评论；意见；批评v. 发表意见；为……作评语
update[ʌp'deɪt]v. 更新；修正；使现代化n. 更新；现代化
retirement[rɪ'taɪəm(ə)nt] n. 退休；退役
separation [sepə'reɪʃ(ə)n]n. 分离；距离；[法] 分居；缺口
charge [tʃɑ:dʒ]n. 费用；掌管；命令v.使承担；指责；装载；充电；控告；索价
owe [əʊ] v.欠；感激；应该把……归功于；欠钱
design[dɪ'zaɪn] v. 设计；计划；构思n. 设计；图案
conduct ['kɒndʌkt] v.导电；带领；管理n. 进行；行为；实施
regret[rɪ'gret] n. 遗憾；抱歉v.后悔；惋惜；哀悼
pack [pæk] n. 包装；一群；背包；包裹；一副v.包装；捆扎；塞满
run into 遭遇；陷入；撞上；偶然遇见
take from 降低；减少
1. That was the name students voted for after deciding that “Room 104” was too dull.
“Students voted for ... too dull”为省略了关系代词的定语从句，用于修饰“name”；“after deciding… too dull”是“after”引导的分词短语作状语，其完整句子为“after students decided … too dull”，因句子前后主语一致，所以省略了“students”，同时变“decided”为“deciding”。
2. Freddy was an average student, but not an average person. He had the rare balance of fun and compassion（同情）.
3. I had advised the kids that while verbs(动词) may seem dull, most of the fun things they do throughout their lives will be verbs.
“That”引导宾语从句，从句内容从“that”开始到“will be verbs”结束；“while”这里表转折，是“然而；但是”的意思；“they do throughout their lives”是省略了关系代词的定语从句，用于修饰“most of the fun things”。
4. I learned that Freddy did several jobs after his graduation from high school and remained the same caring person I met forty years before.
“That”引导宾语从句，从句内容从“that”开始到“forty years before”结束；“and”并列两个平行结构，分别是“did several jobs after his graduation from high school”和“remained the same caring person I met forty years before”，其主语同为“Freddy”；“I met forty years before”是省略了关系代词的定语从句，用于修饰“the same caring person”。